Tag Archives: Controller

Words To The Wise

(Or, things I wish I’d done first time around, having learned the hard way)

Phase 1 – Gather Underpants Planning.
Instead of simply going ahead and making your Touch OSC file right away, I found it beneficial to map out what controls
are required for each ‘droid device. Knowing your requirements, and using your findings to already have the design hashed
out beforehand is crucial, especially when working out how to allocate the MIDI channels and the tracks contained therein.

Knowing the native resolution of the device you’re setting up as a controller is useful as, while aspect ratio may
remain more or less constant, and devices may well accommodate different resolutions, tailoring the size of the controller
will result in more accurate, and therefore better, control.

It’s worth noting, at this stage, that I broke down individual sections of the controller into different MIDI
channels, dependent on their function.

The categories I ended up with are:

1. Level sliders and crossfader, play buttons (L and R)
2. LEDs (Output)
3. Touchpad for FX bank 1
4. Tempo, pitch, deck selection
5. EQ levels, killswitches, master volume, monitor volume.
6. FX bank toggles, deck allocation, touchpad for FX bank 2
7. The Doom Button (everything else, further expansions)

Assuming that we have a more or less coherent idea of what we’re making and the constraints of our platform, it’s time to
create our interface…

Advertisements

Traktor Control via Android devices using Touch OSC

It was just before New Years’ Eve 2013. I was due to DJ at Shenanigans and my USB controller was on its last legs. ¬†Necessity drove me to come up with a controller that could allow me the same levels of freedom as before, but on a far more portable platform. There was a lot of work to be done, mostly research.

Eventually, I came up with a rudimentary prototype (using a Sony Miro as an initial platform) which served to both demonstrate that the theory was sound, and this was only the tip of the iceberg.  Further developments led to a second Android device being employed (A Samsung Galaxy Tab 3), and the Miro being replaced by a Galaxy S.

Subsequent investigations will discern whether the MIDI controllers could be modified as a remote input for either laser and/or lighting control – and how we would go about it…